Thursday, November 18, 2010

30 Days of Gratitude - Day Eighteen

I can't believe that I've gotten this far into a month of gratitude without being grateful for David's hilarious personality!  I am so grateful he has so much joy and excitement in his heart and that he expresses it in his own special way.  I had a pastor tell me one time that everyone has a fruit of the spirit that comes more easily to them.  Well, then David's fruit of the spirit is joy.  It's like there's an unending fountain of joy bubbling up inside of him.  In honor of my brave and special little boy, here's another David story.

Last night, David and I sat down on his bed to read a book before tucking him in to bed.  He had picked The Grouchy Ladybug, which is one of his favorites.  After sitting on the bed, David gathered up a stuffed Elmo doll and "Mimi" (a blanket with a stuffed lamb head that is David's main lovie).  As I opened the book, I realized David was holding Elmo's head with one hand and Mimi's with the other so that they also were looking at the book.  Totally cute, I thought.

David has a great memory.  He has some of his books completely memorized and loves to recite what he remembers.  So in order to keep him from talking over me while I'm reading, we've come up with a system where David always gets to say certain things, like the key word on each page.  One of his favorite things to say is the author's name.

So, last night this is how the beginning of The Grouchy Ladybug went:
Me: "The Grouchy Ladybug by ..."
David: "Eric Carle"
Mimi (in a high voice): "Eric Carle"
Elmo (in a low voice): "Eric Carle"

I was laughing so hard, but trying not to laugh out loud, that I was actually crying.  David just looked at me in a puzzled sort of way ... because all stuffed animals talk, right?  And I love that Elmo got a low voice, because Elmo, if you've ever heard him, has one of the squeakiest Muppet voices.

David held Elmo and Mimi's heads through the whole book so they could see the story too.

Have I mentioned how much I love this kid?

No comments: