Friday, September 17, 2010

Week Two at Preschool

I had a great conversation this afternoon with the head teacher for David's preschool.
She said he's making a lot of baby steps towards better behavior. He listens better, he doesn't whine or cry to get his way, and he's not hitting.
There was one incident this morning where another child pushed him and he pushed back. His teacher said to me that David, even though he's one of the smallest kids, hangs out with the biggest boys in the class and doesn't allow any of them to bully or boss him around. She called him "feisty;" a word I definitely have used to describe David. (She's okay with the boys doing some roughhousing, as am I.)
They are working on name recognition, learning to recognize their names when they see them and knowing the letters in their name, next week. Then the class will move on to numbers. Numbers are by far David's favorite academic thing, so I'm sure he'll get really excited about that!
His teacher also suggested that I buy a certain book they read in the classroom. She said that David loves it and wants to read it all the time. I've heard about the book from him at home too, so I think we'll put that on his wish list for his birthday!
By far this has been a better week than last week. I'm so glad that after such a shaky start David seems to be heading in a good direction with school. I'm also glad that his teacher seems to really enjoy having him as a pupil and that she and I seem to be able to communicate well - those are both things that I envisioned happening when David went to school.

No comments: