Friday, September 10, 2010

Week One at Preschool

Or maybe I should title this: how David teaches me the most when I'm unprepared. Or some other mom lesson type title.

When I went to pick David up from preschool on Tuesday, it turned out he had a bad day. He'd been disobedient, very disobedient, like, I wasn't sure that the teacher and I were both talking about my David. His teacher basically said they'd give him some time, but it was likely he might have to wait a year and try preschool next year when he'd be more mature.

Looking back, I'm glad that I kept my cool during this first conversation with his teacher. I held my tongue when all I could think to say was "You're wrong! My son's a genius and never misbehaves!" (or something else that would be equally false). The last thing I wanted was to be that parent that is in denial about their child's behavioral issues.

I went home, got the boys fed and down for naps and had a heart-to-heart with myself (and alternately Chris, my mother-in-law, and a good friend here on base). Was my son that kid? You know, every one knows one from their school days, the awful one? I decided, after reflection and trusted advice, that no, he was not the awful kid, just a kid adjusting to a brand new environment during an emotional time in his life.

But I was disappointed. And I worried that my little boy, who I just assumed would take to school like a fish to water, might find school challenging. I was so unprepared for this. This summer, I was prepared for swim lessons to be a challenge, and last year, I was prepared for gymnastics to be a challenge, but for some reason, I thought school would be a breeze.

So, we talked, several times, about the rules in the preschool classroom and the consequences if those rules weren't followed. My in-laws paid an impromptu visit that started Wednesday afternoon, so they were also able to encourage David. Jesse and I took David back to preschool for day two on Thursday.

It went much much better. And I realized when we got home that I had been holding my breath for two days.

His teacher decided that David might do better in the Monday, Wednesday, Friday class for older preschoolers. David misses the cutoff for kindergarten by 13 days and when I discovered that, I anticipated we would have moments like this: when David is either noticeably way older or noticeably way younger than other children in his class. His teacher thinks it's best for his current learning that he move into the class with the older children. The thinking is that if he's with the younger children he might regress into behaviors he's already outgrown. With the older children, hopefully, he'll learn from them good behavior techniques and his teacher will help him academically at his own pace.

So today David tried out the age four-five year old preschool and I held my breath all morning. When I picked him up his teacher greeted me with a smile and a wave and said that he had done great. He was a good kid, his teacher said, eager to learn, and very attentive during circle time, and he'd had a good time.

I went home and took another deep breath. And I was proud that I hadn't stepped in and fought David's first school issue for him or tried to make it easier for him. I'm so proud that my little boy showed his teacher his worth all on his own.

No comments: