David had an appointment with the allergist today to go over the results of his recent round of blood tests.
While a lot of his specific IgE levels remain very high (like milk, that kid will be lucky to EVER drink milk, or goat's milk for that matter) ... we got a lot of positive feedback today!
First, going off of his blood work he's definitely not allergic to flax seed (less than level 1 allergic!). This is really very very exciting. In the world of gluten-free baking, flax seed products are used a lot to bind things together. This has limited my ability to make David certain snacks or buy some pre-made treats.
David's blood test results for pine nuts were also on the low end (level 3) for what has been typical for him. Why pine nuts? Who the heck knows! He is a level 4 on all the other tree nuts, but pine nuts were much lower. (Oh! and peanuts, his number was 14.30 and he needs to be below 14 before he can challenge peanuts, so he's getting much closer!) Low enough that we can try adding them into his diet. I wonder if I can make a cheese free pesto ....
The last food that came back with lower numbers than previously was wheat. His level is 69, a level 4. I saw the number and thought, oh well, at least we're getting closer. But the allergist looked at some probability numbers for wheat and it turns out that 90% of people with a number lower than 72 show no allergic reaction to wheat when digested. He's going to do some more research just to make sure that the numbers he has are current, but it looks like we made do a wheat challenge very soon.
I'm still in shock as I write this. I really held no hope that David would gain any new foods at this time. I was just hoping to see some of his levels decrease. And honestly, yesterday and this morning, all I was thinking about was his IgG level - the whole reason we got this round of blood testing in the first place. (Read the background about David's IgG level here.)
His IgG level is still too low, but at 362, it's going up and is much closer to the lower end of typical, which is 407. So, because David remains healthy and his level is increasing there is no need to intervene medically to increase his IgG at this time! We'll do another round of blood work in January to make sure we don't miss a decrease, but for the time being this issue is off of David's plate.
Our first stop after the allergist - Lassen's, the great local Whole Foods equivalent. While we were there I bought David brownies, granola, and frozen waffles, all of which contain flax seed. I'm so excited to share a brownie with my boy when he wakes up from his nap!
3 comments:
YAY for wheat and flax!!!!!!!!!!
What did he think of the brownie?? And a wheat challenge, that's a HUGE deal, isn't it???? I'm so stoked for you that I am all wiggly, like I've had caffeine! :)
Did he like the brownie?
Post a Comment