Okay, so no less than five people have asked me what David thought of the flax brownie. So, here's the media.
He claimed throughout the whole experience "I love chocolate." and "I love brownies." but I think it's more likely that he's heard his momma say these things a couple of times and mimicked me. Anywho, he did eat a lot of the brownie, probably about an 8th of what we bought. So, I'm sure he liked it, but for some reason I'm skeptical of his outbursts of chocolate devotion since the boy has had chocolate seldomly and until recently I couldn't get him to eat the soy chocolate pudding the commissary sells because he thought it was gross. I decided that I would let him eat as much of it as his little heart wanted; I love celebrating new foods with him. So, he ate a ton and then drank a ton of soy milk.
I also tried the brownie (I am the chocolate freak in the house) and .... well, I'm pretty sure I can do better. It was somewhat dry and it had an off taste. And now with flax in his diet, I'm even more sure that I can make a better one myself.
David showed no allergic reaction after eating the brownie, so I'm adding flax to our list of safe foods! What an unexpected joy!
Oh, and someone asked this, so I think there's probably more people wondering. It is a very big deal that David may be able to eat wheat. Wheat is one of the top 8 allergic foods in the USA. (wheat, dairy, eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, fish and shellfish) Most of the serious allergic reactions in the USA occur when eating the top 8 and they usually take the longest to outgrow. It's a great positive sign for David's long term food allergic diagnosis that he is showing clear ability to outgrow severe food allergies at a young age. When we went through David's initial treatment at National Jewish, his pediatric allergist warned me that it was very likely we would not see him outgrow any of his allergies before he was five years old and possibly as late as ten. I would guess that because we were able to get David's eczema under control early and keep it under control that David is finally reaping some food benefit from it!
2 comments:
Your gonna need to write a cookbook one of these days!!! I bet there is other parents of kids with allergies that would LOVE to use some of your stuff!
Thank you for the updates and the pictures, I love it! :) What a joyful day!
Post a Comment