Friday, October 30, 2009

David the neat fashionisto

On Sunday night Chris put David to bed. I said goodnight to David when they were leaving for his bedroom, so I did not see what Chris put him in to sleep.
Around 5am on Monday morning I woke up hearing noises coming from David's bathroom that sounded like he was trying to use his potty. I went in to help him and found him wearing a daytime shirt and mismatched white socks (one short and one long) with daytime pants on the floor at his feet, but I could not find a pull-up. The daytime pants on the floor were wet with pee - it looked like he just hadn't made it to the toliet in time. But, I wondered, where was his pull-up? If he had been wearing one then his pants should have stayed dry.
I went into his bedroom and found a pull-up on the floor... which was totally dry. Not thinking clearly about all the evidence I had discovered so far, I helped David put on clean clothes and tucked him back in bed, wondering the whole time: Why had Chris dressed him in daytime clothes instead of pajamas?
When I got back to our bedroom, Chris was awake waiting for me to make sure everything was okay. So I asked him, why was David wearing daytime clothes. Chris said that he had not put David in those clothes at bedtime and he described a pair of pajamas that he had helped David dress in for bed. I was skeptical - I thought maybe Chris was pulling my leg. Then I remembered those socks David was wearing ... there was no way that Chris would have put David in mismatched socks. We both went to sleep wondering where the pajamas had gone.
David woke up for good at around 7am and I got him settled and playing in the living room before I went on the search for the missing pajamas. I expected to find them on the floor (perhaps I had missed them in my sleep haze) or behind his bed, but they weren't there. On a whim I opened the top drawer of his dresser, where his daytime shirts are kept, and there on top, was his pajama shirt. Then I opened the middle drawer where his daytime pants are kept and there on top was his pajama bottoms. On the floor next to the dresser I found the missing partner to each sock he was wearing.
So, as near as I can figure, David undressed himself completely after we put him to bed, took out new clothes and neatly put away his old clothes, dressed himself and went to sleep. I think it was before he actually went to sleep because the whole process would have made some noise, but right after he went to bed I made cookies and would not have heard him over the noise in the kitchen.
The next night I listened for him after he went to bed and heard his drawer shutting. I went into his room and found that he had put his blankie in the drawer. We had a discussion about how the drawers are not places to play and he's left they alone since then, but man, what a funny kid!

No comments: