on an orange. :-) Did I freak you out? :-)
For those you who don't know, an Epi-Pen contains epinephrine and when pressed firmly to the skin will inject the medication automatically. We carry at least one with us at all times. If David goes into anaphylaxis because of an allergic reaction the Epi-Pen would save his life. I've watched a video on how to use them and have a trainer Epi-Pen, that doesn't have an actual needle in it, to practice to the technique, but I've never actually used an Epi-Pen.
Well, David's Epi-Pens expired so we got new ones. The old ones should be used before they go into the trash to prevent dumpster divers from using the medication or the needle. I had read from other parents with kids with severe allergies that they use oranges to use up the old Epi-Pens and also practice their Epi-giving technique.
So, yesterday, for the first time, I used an Epi-Pen. I'm glad that I did it. It's definitely different that using the fake trainer pen. You can feel the needle eject out of the Epi-Pen. Mostly I'm just grateful because now, if I do someday have to use an Epi-Pen on David, I know that I'll bring to mind my memory of yesterday and feel no added anxiety about how the medication will do it's job, I can focus my entire attention on David.
2 comments:
AHHHHH, you scared the crap out of me! Mean mean mean! :)
That wasn't nice Missy... scared the begeezus out of me for about 5 seconds. :P
May the only times you ever need to use an epi-pen be when they expire and you happen to have an extra piece of citrus lying around.
Post a Comment