There's an adage I've had ringing in my head all day today.
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
Well, shame on me.
I accepted the offered apology and trusted that the offer that this would all be behind us was sincere and would be carried out.
It wasn't.
Last night I sat there while my feelings and comments were thrown back in my face in a room full of others I had promised to not talk to about this. I sat silently with my eyes glued to the table in front of me. Afraid to move or blink or look at anyone, barely breathing while thinly, oh so thinly, veiled comments were made about me.
Can't say I'm surprised that she broke her promise, I doubt she even really considered it a promise when I sat there like a human target. I was meat ready for the kill and she couldn't resist.
Time restraints kept me from staying, but it's too small a group to not find out what was said after I left. She must have realized I would hear. I don't know. I'm really tired of trying to figure out what she is thinking and what the reasoning behind her awful actions is.
She told other people, people I had promised to not talk to, about our conflict. She dragged them into something that was over and told them some part of her side of the story.
She told the people I was sitting next to, like they might need a warning to guide them into staying away from me in the future. Watch out for Missy, she tries hard to keep money from being squandered and doesn't allow other people to spread malicious gossip about her no matter what your husband's rank is. More innocent people, people with too much stress who just came out to relax and find some enjoyment in this awful missile life that sucks out our husbands' souls, brought into the stink. It's like she's not happy unless everyone is smeared with her stink, till you take the bait and start producing as much stink as she does, wrapping your self-esteem around bringing other people down.
I thought I could predict that she would act in a manner that best preserved her own happiness, but I guess hurting me is more important than acting like an adult.
So, if she can go back on her promise, I can do. I promised to accept that apology, participate in the group and not tell any details about what had happened to anyone outside of the necessary circle. I can't unaccept an apology, but I can be done with the group and if anyone wants to know any details, ask, I'm more than happy to answer. In fact, after I made that decision last night it took all my self-restraint to not email the four page outline I had written, listing her horrible behavior, to the entire group. I didn't, but it's still tempting.
This time I'm hurt again and it's shame on me.
3 comments:
Missy I'm thinking of you - we should have a phone date soon. I'm sorry that I only know pieces from reading, but I'm thinking of you!
Hugs, Molly
I am so sorry that you are having to deal with her...and as sad as it sounds none of her behavior surprises me! If you need someone to talk to give me a call!
Stacy
I sent my email letting her know I wouldn't be able to help out with Feb or the Hallway party. Piece out chick!
Post a Comment