Life has just been humming along the past couple of weeks as we busily prepare for our upcoming vacation to the Caribbean via Disney Cruise Line and five days in the Disney World parks. There's been a lot of paperwork to do both online and via fax so that we are fully prepared. Most of it was pretty simple. I think my favorite was finding maps of all the Disney parks, sponsored by Fisher Price, that pointed out the best features and rides in each park for preschoolers. However, between my pregnancy and David's allergies, we added a few extra levels of paperwork. I've heard through the parents of kids with food allergies grapevine that Disney is a great place to take children like David. Disney teaches their staff about cross-contamination issues as well as the basic "don't put cheese on that plate" which allows us to be more relaxed than we are when ordering for David at a ordinary restaurant. David's doctor and I filled out some paperwork so that the cruise ship will be fully prepared. I also made reservations for most of our breakfasts and dinners while in the parks because this allows us to give each restaurant advanced warning that David is coming and what his needs will be. I've also been given a list of the counter-service restaurants in the parks that can quickly accommodate food allergies for on the go eating.
It all could have been much worse. David and I went back to his allergist a little over a week ago now (see, I told you I'm a bad blogger) to get the results of his lab work. Chris and I had tried as best we could to prepare ourselves for the worst, especially because the allergist's office would not give us the results of the tests over the phone. The worst would have been Celiac Disease, which would have eliminated one of David's safe grains, oats, from his diet, as well as the others he can't eat now, for the rest of his life. It also would have meant a lot of scrambling right before our vacation to prepare ourselves and Disney for David's new restrictions.
But we have finally had a break when it comes to bad test results! David does not have Celiac Disease! This means one day, probably in about 3 years, he will be able to eat wheat once he has outgrown his allergy. David did test positive for an allergy to goat's milk, but we expected that (there's a high correlation between dairy and goat allergies). The reason for the visit was because in the process of testing for Celiac the lab came across a low number in one area of David's immune system. Dr. J wanted to see if David had a lot of immune issues, such as respiratory infections. But David has been incredibly healthy, especially since the move to California, which is counter to a weak immune system because in a new environment with all new germs he should be sick all the time if his immune system was weak. So Dr. J just told us to watch him and bring him back in for a full work up if we felt he was getting sick too often, otherwise we'll do our next round of full blood work in six months.
We leave Wednesday for what we've billed for ourselves as the most luxurious vacation we've ever taken ... time to get all laundry done and the luggage organized!
2 comments:
Oh my gosh, you guys are all SO deserving of an amazing vacation! I am so happy for you guys (I've never been on a vacation that fancy!) Enjoy yourselves, I can't wait to see the pictures (and hooray for great news about David's allergies, yippee!)
bad, bad blogger. i kept checking every day for like three weeks for updates, but nope. haah, just kidding. anyways take lots of pictures por favor!!
Post a Comment