On last Thursday, December 11th, David and I traveled to California to stay with Chris' parents for the holidays. The trip went well. A little exhausting for both of us. David did not nap at all during all of our three flights and ended up being awake for over 14 hours. It made the day seem very very long indeed (I'm SO glad we bought a portable DVD player right before the trip, it would have been much harder without it.), but it did work out nicely for David's transition to pacific time. David finally fell asleep as we landed in California at 7:30pm, which put him perfectly on schedule!
We have really enjoyed our time in California so far. Lots of family and food. Here are some pictures of our trip so far.
Grandparents buy noisy toys. Toddlers love them.
David gets to play outside in California, something he hasn't done in about two months, it's been too cold in Minot. Here he is playing in the dirt in some new planter beds. He had a blast in the dirt.
David and his Uncle Russell, an enlisted Marine newly home from a deployment in Afghanistan.
David and his Papa, two of a kind.
David, Russell, and I. This is definitely getting framed.
David wearing Nana's glasses...nerd in the making.
We haven't really celebrated David's birthday. We are going to wait till the family is all together for Christmas and celebrate David and Russell's birthdays together. Russell's birthday is three days before David's. But David did open a couple of presents on his birthday, which was Monday the 15th. He refused to smile for the camera, too busy opening and then playing with his new presents. But it's a good picture of his grandparents.
It's good to be "home." We've also gotten to spend some time with my family; I got to see almost everyone. It's nice to be able to relax a little and not be the only one responsible for David on a day to day basis. On the other hand, it's hard to be here. This is where I fell in love with Chris and many of our happiness memories are here. Not to mention this is where I grew up and most of my childhood friends, and many of our hangouts, are long gone.But really, there's not an easy place to spend the holidays when your husband is in a combat zone thousands of miles away and I'm happy to spend this time with loving and easy-going family that have wrapped David and I into their caring embrace.



No comments:
Post a Comment